Friday, September 3, 2010

Sleep Training Night 2

Ok, night 2 was a little harder. But at least I had been warned! Karis fell asleep nursing again, so I just laid her down at 7pm and she slept for about 30 minutes, then woke up and cried for an hour. Then she slept until 2:30, I fed her (which I have decided to do just once a night until she's 9months old), and she went right back to sleep in her crib - didn't even cry when I laid her down. Then she woke up and cried off and on for the rest of the night until she was up about 7:30am. Marc and I are on the air mattress downstairs and I could still hear her screaming even though she was upstairs w/the door shut and a towel at the bottom of the door. But from what I have heard, night 3 is much better, so we will see.

I have been praying for her each time I lay her down for a nap or at night, just that she will learn quickly and get good sleep etc. I think she is a quick learner! I put her down for her nap at 9am today and she didn't protest at all. She just curled up, sucked on her pacifier, didn't cry at all, and was asleep w/in 2 minutes! I couldn't believe it! Now I just hope she does the same for her afternoon nap, bedtime, and eventually every time I lay her down.

Before all this I was so scared that she would feel abandoned or lose trust in my willingness to meet her needs. But now through this process I realize that her biggest need was sleep and to learn to go to sleep by herself. I think it was my biggest need, too! I was about to lose my mind. Thank you to all my sweet friends who kept very gently suggesting I do this - love you all so much!

1 comment:

Karla said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Laura!

I'm so happy to hear that you're finding such peace with what you're doing. Sleep is an important need, and learning how to sleep can be difficult (for both baby and mom!).