Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sleep Training Night 3

Well, night 3 wasn't too bad. Karis did the same thing as the past 2 nights. She fell asleep nursing, slept for 30 minutes, then woke up and cried for an hour before falling asleep. She woke up once about 3am to nurse but immediately went back to sleep and slept the rest of the night. So that's not too bad.
But today during nap time was not good. The plan in this book is to keep her on a regular schedule with her biological rhythm. So most babies her age go to bed about 7, wake up about 7, take a nap at 9 am, and then another nap at 1pm. If you lay her down at her 9am nap and she doesn't go to sleep, you should only let her cry for an hour and then get her up and keep her awake until the next nap.
Well, that's exactly what happened this morning. Karis screamed the entire hour she was supposed to be napping, so then we had to keep her awake until her 1pm nap - which is not easy and definitely makes for a very fussy baby. Well, then at her 1pm nap she slept for all of 15 minutes, woke up and cried for an hour, and then Marc got her up (I was having some much needed girls' time with my community group!). And then we had to keep her awake until bedtime - again not easy. So I just put her down at 6pm. Again she was so worn out that she fell asleep nursing and so didn't cry when I laid her down. But now it's 6:25pm and she just woke up and started crying. I guess I'm just hoping that she cries for less than an hour tonight.

I've been having such a hard time with the sleep training today. It just doesn't feel like I'm doing something good for her. It feels like I'm hurting her. When she's crying, I want to go hold her and comfort her. But I have to remind myself over and over that this is for her good and for mine. It also seems like naps are getting worse, but Marc's theory is that maybe today was the "final death throws" as she realized what we're doing and that she's letting us know she doesn't like it. As Marc says, she's strong willed like her momma! I sure am hoping it gets better...and soon.

On a much more positive note, the weather was absolutely beautiful today, so we all headed to the park to play. I am so excited to be able to do this more now that it's cooling off outside!

5 comments:

Jenna @ Sharing My Jennarocity said...

Don't worry Laura. It's hard sometimes with kids, and you feel like you are not doing right by them. Since someone wrote a book about it that thousands of people have read, you should take comfort in the fact that ALOT of other parents have gone through exactly the same thing and it is, in fact, for her own good. It's SO HARD to let kids be upset, whether they are 6 months or 8 years. Jordan is grounded right now for tomorrow because we gave him the freedom to go play with his friends outside but told him to be back by 7:30 and came back 8 minutes late. He is so mad at us, but we know consequences are for his own good. I know it's not the same thing at all, but it only gets harder when they say things like, "You are so mean" and you still have to do something anyway. But I think in your case, the sleeping WILL get better, and it will be good for her. You are doing the right thing!

Katie said...

Hang in there Laura. It will all be worth it. Really, even though it doesn't feel like it. She sounds like quite the social little lady. :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there once more. I hope you found the noise machine!!! That way you can get back to your bed and everyone will be happy!

The Axelson's said...

I have been meaning to call since I read your first post about sleep training. I know exactly how you feel and some days I just sat in my room and cried while Cole screamed in his crib. It was so worth it and it still is. Even though he is great sleeper he still has some bad days but overall my kid is so much happier because he is well rested! Praying for you and you know if you ever need to vent call me!

missy said...

I'm SO proud of you sister!! I know it's hard....I've been there and will revisit again with Rylee in a few months. The one thing I can say is....stick.with.it. It's so worth it in the end and also, try your hardest to not let her fall asleep nursing! Wake her gently by talking to her, burping her, bicycling her legs...whatever you can to have her lay down drowsy but not asleep. And don't pick her up after you've laid her down. Pat her back but don't talk to her! You are doing great...keep it up! And just know, she's in a safe place where she can't be harmed....sometimes you may just have to turn the monitor off and walk outside on the back porch for a break from the crying.....for you. You need this just as much as she does!